Discord Rules To Copy/Paste In 2023 (+126 Rules!)
If you are the owner of a Discord server in 2023, it is a good idea to add rules.
The rules are the foundation of your Discord server culture.
However, it can be difficult to find rulesespecially the good ones.
If you add rules that are too rigid, users may leave your server.
Conversely, if you add rules that are too simple, users may break them.
The development of good rules for Discord servers requires several elements.
Article updated in September 2023.
Do you need a VPN ?
Know your Discord's niche
First of all, you need to know the niche of your server.
For example, if your server is a game server, you can add a rule to prevent buying, selling or trading accounts.
This way, your server will not be used for transactions.
Secondly, you must know the demographics of your members (e.g. age, interests, language).
This article contains a list of good ideas for simple and basic Discord server rules that you can copy and paste into 2023:
- How do I create a rules channel in Discord?
- How do you force people to read the rules in Discord?
- My 106 good Discord server rules
How to create a rules channel in Discord in 2023?
To create a rules channel in Discord in 2023, you need to create a new text channel called "Rules".
Then, set the channel to read-only by accessing "Advanced Settings".
Under "Advanced permissions", uncheck the "Send messages" permission.
Once you have unchecked the "Send messages" permission, only you can send messages in the channel.
You can therefore copy and paste a list of rules into the chat.
How do you force people to read the rules in Discord?
To force people to read the rules in Discord in 2023, you must enable the community feature for your server.
Next, you must configure "member filtering" and add server rules.
New members joining your server must accept the rules before they can send messages to your server.
Otherwise, they will not be able to talk, react or send messages to other members on your server.
My 106 good Discord server rules (2023)
Here is a list of +106 good Discord server rules to copy and paste :
- Be respectful, civil and welcoming.
- No inappropriate or dangerous content.
- Do not abuse or spam any channel.
- Do not join the server to promote your content.
- Any content that is NSFW (Not Safe For Work) is not allowed under any circumstances.
- Do not buy/sell/trade/give anything away.
- Do not use the server as a dating server.
- The main language of this server is English OR French OR Spanish...
- Discord names and avatars should be appropriate.
- Spamming in any form is not allowed.
- Controversial topics such as religion or politics are not allowed.
- Do not try to bypass the blocked words.
- Do not ping without a legitimate reason.
- No link or invitation code to the Discord server.
- Do not advertise without permission.
- Anything that aims to target specific groups/individuals is prohibited.
- No major spoilers from any film, TV show or game on public channels.
- Please do not spam.
- Do not record conversations on voice channels.
- Avoid topics about banned members.
- Stay on topic and use the channels correctly.
- Do not discuss hacking or cheating.
- Do not link to scam sites.
- Spoilers must use spoiler tags and be labelled.
- Listen to the moderators and administrators of the server.
- Use the appropriate channels.
- Trading, selling, begging, and account sharing are not allowed.
- Do not discuss adult topics
- Communicate only in English OR French OR Spanish....
- Discriminatory language and hate speech are prohibited.
- Be respectful and welcoming as toxicity is not allowed.
- Be civil, and don't treat the messaging channels like an ongoing chat.
- Do not ping staff members without reason.
- Do not make mass mentions by sending messages to more than 4 people at a time, or by sending random messages to members.
- It is an offence to encourage non-compliance.
- Do not flood the chatroom by making messages longer than 7 lines on a computer screen.
- It is forbidden to engage in chain messages.
- Excessive use of Discord stickers should be avoided.
- Do not stack more than 5 emojis in a message.
- Do not send more than 2 flashing or strobe emojis at a time.
- Do not send invitations to the Discord server on the server or in DMs.
- Do not send links to online meetings.
- It is forbidden to illegally distribute unlicensed material.
- You are not allowed to sell anything here.
- Do not impersonate other people, including public figures.
- Profile pictures, usernames, statuses, usernames containing profanity or inappropriate empty names are not allowed.
- Please do not make your nickname "everyone".
- Do not copy or claim the identity of others.
- Unpleasant, excessive or inappropriate sounds are not allowed.
- Only distribute respectable content
- Do not loop or queue the same song with music bots.
- If a large group of members are listening to music silently, please mute or switch to another channel.
- Do not play music or other audio through your microphone.
- Streaming of films or other copyrighted content is illegal.
- Do not send malicious or harmful links or files, or anything that endangers the safety of others.
- It is forbidden to disclose the personal information of others.
- Bullying and harassment are not tolerated.
- Please refrain from underhanded moderation.
- Do not harass or participate in the harassment of another user.
- Do not engage in hate speech of any kind.
- Do not threaten anyone.
- Do not post dangerous material (malicious websites, pirated software, etc.).
- Do not post links or files that crash Discord.
- Do not DDoS or threaten to DDoS other users.
- You must be at least 13 years old to use Discord.
- Be careful when introducing conversations about controversial or sensitive topics.
- Community members should strive to achieve a certain level of quality in their messages.
- Spoilers should be labelled appropriately using Discord's built-in formatting, revealing sufficiently the topic being discussed.
- Do not request, post or disclose information, links or hacking intentions.
- Please limit and be reasonable in promoting content.
- All content and messages on this server must be in English OR French OR Spanish... with the exception of common words or phrases at the discretion of staff.
- Community members are free to express themselves openly and to provide constructive criticism and feedback.
- Whatever the age, try to treat each other as we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Please do not contact server members in an unsolicited manner.
- Please respect the Discord Terms of Service.
- Be civil and considerate of other users.
- Follow all instructions from the moderators immediately and at all times.
- No hate speech or trolling.
- Do not discuss, ask, drive or advertise real money transactions
- Any form of harassment, such as blackmail, inappropriate DMs, will result in an immediate and permanent ban.
- Any form of discrimination will not be tolerated.
- No advertising for Discord servers, other programs, websites or services.
- The creation of sub-servers with the intention of displacing our members for personal gain is not allowed.
- Any harmful material will result in a permanent ban.
- Do not share your personal information.
- We encourage diversity and inclusion and expect your interactions in this channel to be respectful and guided by these principles.
- We encourage free expression for all, we accept our differences, our opinions and our diverse backgrounds, therefore debates are welcome as long as they are based on these ideas.
- These rules may change at any time. The moderators reserve the right to warn and ban users at their discretion.
- Don't be toxic or mean, and don't denigrate other people's messages without reason.
- If you share a link, please include a description (unless the nature of the link is obvious).
- Do not impersonate an administrator, moderator or other user.
- Be kind and respectful to others.
- The most important rule of all is to have fun!
- - No empty nicknames.
- - No inappropriate nicknames.
- - No sexually explicit pseudonyms.
- - No offensive nicknames.
- - No inappropriate profile pictures.
- - No sexually explicit profile pictures.
- - No offensive profile pictures.
- - No membership granted to minors (under 18).
- - The moderators reserve the right to change nicknames.
- - No application for a moderator role.
- - @mention support for support.
- - Contact the moderators under #general for assistance.
- - No sexually explicit content.
- - No pornographic content.
- - No NSFW content.
- - No illegal content.
- - No publication of personal information.
- - No personal attacks.
- - No harassment.
- - No sexism.
- - No racism.
- - No hate speech.
- - No offensive language.
- - No religious discussions.
- - No political discussions.
- - No sexual discussions.
- - No spam.
- - No caps lock.
- - The moderators reserve the right to delete any message.
- - The moderators reserve the right to edit any post.
- - No advertising without permission.
- - No links to other servers.
- - Don't go off-topic / use the right text channel for the topic you want to discuss.
It is important to add rules to your Discord server in 2023 for several reasons.
Firstly, the rules will inform your server members of what they should and should not do.
This way, your server members will not be surprised if they are banned.
Secondly, there will be less chaos and more order on your server.
This will attract others to join your server.
Have fun on Discord!
Do not hesitate to contact us contact if you have any comments or questions on the subject.